Sunday, October 21, 2007

Building a simple Cork Building


Inspired by Matakishi's work ( View Matakishi's Cork Building Article ), I've decided to build a selection of Middle Eastern buildings using his techniques.

Instead of the more sturdy compressed floor tiles he's used, I'm using easier to find cork bulletin board tiles for my buildings. I started off by painting to the tiles to stiffen them, as they are a bit crumbly when cutting if not stiffened up a bit. I spray painted one side of the tiles a primer gray, but after seeing how much paint soaked into the cork (and seeing how quick a new can of spray paint ran out), I got some flat acrylic enamel and brushed on a coat on the other side.

Above is a photo of a small anonymous building that I constructed as a trial. Still needs final painting and weathering at this point. Included for scale comparison are a couple of the BFEvo figures - a PLA Infantryman and a MEA Technical.

Next, on to a bigger project - the mosque!

No comments: